Radish Thoran with Dal curry


In the above two pics, I have diced some radish and a carrot. To that, I've diced an onion, added half a fistful of grated coconut, half a tsp of cumin seeds,a finely chopped green chilly, a few curry leaves, salt to taste...mixed them all well with the palm of my hand running my fingers through them as well so that they all absorb in the salt and cumin flavour.

In a skillet, added a tbsp of oil, allowed a tsp of mustard to splutter, a dry, broken,red chilly and a tsp of split chickpeas, when it browns lightly, I tossed in the veggies that I kept aside in the above para. It doesn't take much time to cook, also do not over cook them. Radish is a bitter vegetable indeed...but it is always nice to try out all varieties of veggies that nature has given us. That's your thoran/Poriyal.


I have used two lentils-the tur dal(yellow pigeon peas) and the chenna dal(the split chickpeas)...cooked both of them in the pressure cooker with a tsp of turmeric and adequate water.As today was "My Radish Day"...I did add a few chunks of radish as well along with these dals.After two of three whistles from the pressure cooker, turn it off and let it cool.

Grind half a fistful of grated coconut, a tsp of cumin seeds, two or three pods of garlic, half a tomato,a few peppercorns for the spice and some shredded ginger. Add this ground mixture/paste to the lentils that you have cooked in the above para. Mix them well, add salt to taste, add some fresh curry leaves/Coriander leaves.

Temper the dish with mustard spluttered in a tsp of coconut oil, red onions and a broken,dry, red chilly. That's you dal with a Radish twist.

Comments

Popular Posts